EtymologyJill is a variant of the proper name Gill, itself a female form either of Julius (then also Gillian or Jillian) or of Aegidius.
- A given name
- generic use for any female (as Sheila in Australian English), especially paired (since the 15th c., compare Ienken and Iulyan) with the male Jack; also in the compound jillstrap (also shortened as jill), the female counterpart of a jockstrap
- A young woman; a sweetheart; like the variant spelling Gill it was also associated with various assertive uses of the term flirt, as in flirtgigg (used by William Shakespeare for a 'woman of light or loose behavior').
- A term used to describe your right hand, usually hinting at masturbation.
Jill is a female given name, of Latin origin, meaning sweetheart or youthful. Used as a short form of the female given name Gillian, now it is often used as an independent name. Jill may refer to:
- Jill Wagner, American actress
- Jill St. John, an American actress
- Jill Dando, a British television presenter, murdered in April 1999.
- Jill Johnson, a Swedish country and schlager singer.
- Jill Vidal, a pop singer from Hong Kong
- Jill Carroll, an American journalist held in Iraq
- Jill Morrison, American actress
- Jill Bontilao, Asian
In fictional characters:
- Jill, a character in the nursey rhyme Jack and Jill
- Jill Johnson, a character from When a Stranger Calls
- Jill Valentine, a Resident Evil character
- Jill, the main character from the video game Drill Dozer.
- Jill, the main character of Cake Mania
- Jill Marin, the rookie agent in The Sentinel (2006 film)
- Jill Pole, a main character in C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair
- Jill (cat), a cat on Blue Peter.
- Nakajima B6N, Japanese torpedo bomber of World War II
- Jill of the Jungle, a computer game
- A generic representative of the female sex, as in jillstrap (also shortened simply to jill)
- Jill, a novel by Philip Larkin
- A female ferret
- The Buffalo Jills, the Bills cheerleading squad
- Jill, one of a pair of windmills at Clayton, Sussex.
- Sparkle, Phish, "...a drive with Jill."